Nassau Public Library
GPS: N25° 04.579; W077° 20.431
The Nassau Public Library is located on the south side of Parliament Square near Shirley Street.
|Front Entrance of Library|
Nassau Public Library is housed in the only octagonal historic building in The Bahamas. The structure was built by Joseph Eve between 1798 and 1800. It originally served as a jail and correctional work house. The building is four stories high and constructed of locally quarried stone.
In 1873, a new prison was built and the present building was converted to the Nassau Public Library. The original jail cells are now alcoves lined with bookshelves. The lower floor holds the children's library, adult fiction, paperback novels, and public computers. The upper floor houses the non-fiction and reference book collections as well as a display of Bahamian artifacts. The third level is used to store old artifacts.
The Nassau Library is governed by a seven member Board of Trustees. The Nassau Public Library is headed by Mrs. Winifred Murphy and has a staff of four. It is the Bahamian and international resource center for primary, high school, and tertiary level students. It has more than 5,000 subscribers.
The stamp was issued, in 1978, as part of a miniature sheet of four stamps commemorating Bahamian architectural heritage.