Christ Church Cathedral
GPS: N25° 04.642; W 077° 20.662
Christ Church Cathedral is located at George Street between Bay and Duke Streets in downtown Nassau.
Christ Church Cathedral is the "Mother Church" of all of the Anglican churches in the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands. The first church building for the Parish of Christ Church was built near the present site between 1670 and 1684. In 1754 the wooden church was replaced by a church built in the Gothic style of locally quarried limestone blocks. The characteristic square tower was built in 1830 to replace a steeple that had become too dangerous.
The east window which depict the Crucifixion in the center panel, the Empty Tomb and the Ascension in the two side panels was made in France by M. Fassi-Cadet of Nice and was a gift from Charles A. Munroe, an American who spent many years in the Bahamas. They were given in memory of his son, Lieutenant Logan Munroe, who died in active duty in the Second World War in the South Pacific on June 16th, 1945. The windows were unveiled and dedicated in March, 1949.
The stamp was issued by the Bahamas in 1962 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the City of Nassau (1861 - 1961).