GPS: N25° 04.573; W077° 20.673
Government House is the official residence of the Governor General of the Bahamas. It is located where Duke Street intersects George Street.
The Georgian Colonial style Government House was built in 1806, of pink painted stucco and coral rock, on the hill known as Mount Fitzwilliam. The cost of the building was about 20,000 pounds. It was built on the site of the former home of Governor Richard Fitzwilliam that was built in 1727 and a neoclassical structure that replaced the older home from 1803 to 1806.
In 1909 the east wing was added. The building require repair after the hurricane of 1929 and the façade's pedimented entrance and four Ionic columns was added during the 1930s. A statue of Christopher Columbus which stands at the north steps leading to the entrance.
From 1940 through 1941, Government House renovated at a cost of $21,000 by the Duchess of Windsor, whose husband, King Edward VIII was the Governor of the Bahamas from 1940 to 1945. The architect for the renovation was the American, Sidney Neil.
The stamp was issued, in 1978, as part of a miniature sheet of four stamps commemorating Bahamian architectural heritage.