Great Stirrup Cay Lighthouse
GPS: N 25° 49.407 W 077° 54.052
The lighthouse on Great Stirrup Cay is located on the northeast end of the island.
Great Stirrup Cay is one of the Berry Islands in the central northern part of the Bahamas. This 250 acre island was once owned by the Belcher Oil Company. The western part was purchased and developed by the Norwegian Cruse Lines and is used as a private port-of-call.
The lighthouse is located on the eastern end can easily be reached by a wide gravel road that extends from the western developed area to the eastern end of the island. The lighthouse is now unmanned and powered by solar panels. The area around the lighthouse is overgrown by dense vegetation. A narrow path through the vegetation leads from the road to the lighthouse.
The white painted brick lighthouse was constructed in 1863. It is 56' above the Atlantic Ocean and signals with two white flashes every 20 seconds.
The stamp was issued in 2004 as part of a set of five stamps depicting lighthouses of the Bahamas.