Old Town Hall
(L’ancien Hôtel de Ville)
N 14° 36.384 W 061° 04.203
The Old Town Hall, L’ancien Hôtel de Ville, in Fort-de-France, Martinique has been designated a French National Historic Monument. It is located at 116 rue Victor Sévère.
The former Town Hall of Fort-de-France was built in the neo-Classical style between 1884 and 1901. It served as the town hall for Fort-de-France until 1970 when is was replaced by a nearby structure and turned into a theater.
The gray and white two story structure has a central entrance and two flanking wings. Within the pediment is the coat of arms of Martinique which carries the motto "Semper Francia" ("Always France"). Above the pediment is a clock and bell tower. The building now hosts various exhibitions and shows and renamed Theater Aimé Césaire on September 30 , 2009.
On July, 31, 1797 the L’ancien Hôtel de Ville was listed as a Historic French Monument.