Church of the Nativity
Blessed Virgin Mary
Anse la Raye, St. Lucia
N 13° 56.355 W 061° 02.598
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located on the southwest area of Anse la Raye, St. Lucia at the intersection of Church and Bridge Streets.
Anse la Raye is a small fishing village in the west coast of St. Lucia, south of the capital of Castries. For such a small village, the population of the entire area is about 6,300, there is a very large church with and impressively large painted wooden crucifix at the entrance to the church. The Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1907, replacing a series of chapels on this site dating back to 1765. The cruciform shaped church is 160' long by 94' at its widest points at the transept.
In addition to the large statue of Jesus on the Cross at the front entrance, and statue of Mary over the entrance. The interior of the church has wooden pillars and a dark wood ceiling.