Basseterre, St. Kitts
N 17° 17.783 W 062° 43.304
The Co-Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is located opposite the north east side of Independence Square on East Independence Street in Basseterre, St. Kitts.
In 1713 the English forbade public worship of the Catholic religion in St. Kitts. The prohibition continued until 1829 when at In 1829 an act was passed to remove some of the discrimination against Catholics. In preparation for the centenary of Catholic emancipation in 1929 a new church was planned. Construction began on March 17, 1927 and the new structure was dedicated on 6th December 6, 1928. In 1981, the church became a co-cathedral within the diocese of St. John's, Antigua.
The stamp was issued on October 31, 1997 as part of a four stamp Christmas set depicting churches.