Large Steel Baseball Bat and Glove of Shrubs
N 42° 27.714 W 073° 15.111
Large Steel Baseball Bat & Glove of Shrubs is located at outside the entrance to Wahconah Park Stadium in Pittsfield, MA.
In 2009, the sculpture of the large steel baseball bat was moved from the front lawn of Pittsfield High School to the 3,100 seat minor league baseball stadium, Wahconah Park, in Pittsfield, MA..
The sculpture titled "Elements of the Game," was commissioned to honor the City's baseball history, which dates back to a 1791 bylaw banning the playing of "base ball" near the town's new meetinghouse. This was the first reference to baseball in America. Baseball has been played at Wahconah Park since 1892.
The 25' long steel bat was created by landscape designer Jerid Hohn in 2006. The handle is resting on top of a 5' high arrangement of flat stones in the shape of a barrel. The end of the bat rests on the ground. Surrounding the handle is a planting of shrubs suggesting the fingers of a four finger baseball glove.