Bridge of Flowers
Shelburne Falls-Buckland, MA
N42° 36.230; W072° 44.470
The Bridge of Flowers spans the Deerfield River between the towns of Shelburne and Buckland in western Massachusetts.
Shelburne Falls is a area in western Massachusetts that is equally divided by the Deerfield River beween the towns of Shelburne and Buckland. In 1908 a 400', five arch, concrete trolley bridge was built to connect Buckland to Shelburne. When the trolley line ceased operation in 1928, residents Antoinette and Walter Burnham conceived the idea of transforming the structure into a flower garden.
The Bridge of Flowers is the only one of its kind in the world. It is administered by the Woman's Club's Bridge of Flowers Committee and maintained with donations, memorial gifts and bequests. From early spring until late fall the bridge is ablaze with thousands of colorful annual and perennial blooms. Over 500 varieties of flowers are represented, insuring continuous blooming throughout the spring, summer and fall. The Bridge of Flowers is open daily during daylight hours.