Royal Naval Dockyard
Sandys Parish, Bermuda
N 32° 19.455 W 064° 50.131
The Dockyard Gate is located on Pender Road at the south entrance to the Royal Naval Dockyard in the west end of Bermuda.
The Royal Naval Dockyard was built in 1809 on the west end of Bermuda. Due to the fact that Bermuda is surrounded by reefs, it is the only location in Bermuda that is accessible to large cruise ships. At one time it was the largest British naval base outside the United Kingdom. It provided a vital strategic defense for British interests in the western Atlantic Ocean from the War of 1812 until after the Second World War. The area is defended by a fortress once known as the "Gibraltar of the West.”
Today the dockyard buildings have been restored and converted for commercial use. The buildings, that once housed the administration offices for the British Royal Navy, are now home to the Clock Tower Shopping Mall which contains boutique shops, arts and crafts studios and restaurants. The fortress is home to the National Museum of Bermuda.
A sign on the fence adjacent to the gate give the history of the Dockyard Gate. it is inscribed:
THE DOCKYARD GATE
Completed in 1842
Constructed during the reign of
Queen Victoria, this gate was
originally the innermost in line of
defensive gates protecting the land
approach to the Dockyard. The
outlying bastion defenses and outer
gates were removed between 1901
and 1907 when the South Yard was
constructed. Above each pedestrian
gate is a plaque displaying the Royal
Coat-of-Arms and a stone on its inner
face records its construction date.
The stamp is part of a set of six stamps issued by Bermuda in 2004 showing views of the Royal Naval Dockyard.