Chandelier and Cedar Ceiling Beams
St. Peter's Church
St. George, Bermuda
N 32° 22.885 W 064° 40.655
The interior of St. Peter's Church in St. George, Bermuda contains silver chandeliers and exposed cedar beams and posts.
St. Peter's Church in St. George, Bermuda is believed to be the oldest continually used Anglican church in the Western hemisphere. The original wooden church built 1612 was destroyed in a storm and replaced by the present church. In 2012, on the 400th anniversary of the church, Queen Elizabeth II gave the church the royal title "Their Majesties Chapell."
The church was rebuilt with native Bermuda cedar. The ceiling has and exposed lattice framework of cedar beams. Beneath the ceiling 4" by 4" cedar post span the length of the church. Suspended about 6.5' above the aisle floor from cedar posts are silver candlelit chandeliers. The symmetrical fixture has 12 arms joined to a central hub. Each arm holds a glass lantern and fitted with a candle.
The stamp was issued by Bermuda in 2012 as part of a set of four stamps commemorating the 400th anniversary of St. Peter's Church.