Peggy's Cove, NS
N 44° 29.633 W 063° 54.855
The Fisherman's Monument is a large bas relief sculpture carved from native granite by William Edward deGarthe. The monument off the road and near the parking area for Peggy's Point Lighthouse.
William Edward deGarthe emigrated from Helsinki, Finland to Canada in 1926. He lived in Halifax before moving to Peggy’s Cove in 1955. He began sculpting “Fisherman’s Monument” from a 100' long granite outcrop near his home in the 1970's. The monument honors the men and women of Peggy's Cove who make their living from the sea. The sculpture depicts 32 fishermen, their wives and children, at the left is St. Elmo, the patron of sailors, with wings spread. Next is the , and the legendary Peggy of Peggy’s Cove and finally a series of workers.
After his death, his home, now a museum, and the monument were given to people of Nova Scotia. A nearby bronze monument explains the purpose of the monument. It is inscribed:
BY WILLIAM E. DEGARTHE, ARTIST ANS SCULPTOR
THIS WORK OF ART IS A LASTING MEMORIAL TO THE GALLANT MEN OF
PEGGY'S COVE, NOVA SCOTIA WHO HARVEST OUR OCEANS. THE MONUMENT
DEPICTS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: FISHERMAN'S FAMILY; PEGGY OF THE COVE;
FISHERMEN AT WORK.
THIS MONUMENT WAS DONATED TO THE PROVINENCE OF NOVA SCOTIA BY
MRS. R. AGNES DEGARTHE IN 1984 IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE WISHES OF
HER LATE HUSBAND, WILLIAM E. DEGARTHE.