Low Memorial Library
N 40° 48.476 W 073° 57.727
The Low Memorial Library is at the center of the campus of Columbia University (formerly King's College) at 116th St and Broadway in the upper west side of Manhattan.
The Low Memorial Library was commissioned in 1895 by Columbia University President Seth Low. It was designed in the Neoclassical style by the architectural firm McKim, Mead & White and financed with a $1,000,000 donation by President Low. He named the library in memory of his father, Abiel Abbot Low.
Since the nearby Butler Library was completed in 1934 the building houses the central administrative offices of the university. The sculpture "Alma Mater" by Daniel Chester French on the steps of the Library has become the symbol of the University. A stone tablet embedded in the plaza is inscribed:
CHARLES FOLLEN McKIM
MDCCCXLVII - MDCCCIX
Latin to English Translation:
THE MONUMENTS OF AN ARTIST LOOK DOWN UPON US THROUGHOUT THE AGES
The Low Memorial Library was named a New York City landmark in 1967 and a National Historic Landmark in 1987.
The stamp was issued by the United States in 1954 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the founding of the college, then called King's College.