St. Peter's Church
St. George, Bermuda
St. Peter's Church is located in St. George, Bermuda. The town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The original church on this site was constructed in 1612. It is considered to be the oldest continuously used Anglican Church in the New World. The wood framed structure has limestone walls and a limestone slate roof. The interior features exposed cedar beams and commemorative plaques.
Most of the present structure dates from 1713, but the steeple is a later additions. The first Bermuda Parliament met here in 1620, making it the 3rd oldest parliament in the world. Bermuda's first newspaper publisher, Joseph Stockdale, is buried beneath the church floor.
The stamp was issued by Bermuda in 2012 as part of a set of four stamps commemorating the 400th anniversary of St. Peter's Church. The bank note was issued by Bermuda in 2009.