Sessions House (House of Assembly)
N 32° 17.635 W 064° 46.892
Sessions House is the Bermuda Parliament Building. It is located between Parliament, Church, Court and Reid Streets in Hamilton, Bermuda
The Bermuda Parliament is the third oldest in the world and the oldest in the western hemisphere. It meets at the upper floor of the Sessions House which it shares with the Supreme Court which occupies the ground floor. These are the two most important administrative bodies in Bermuda. There are 35 elected members of the parliament.
In 1815 capital of Bermuda was moved from St. George to Hamilton. Construction soon began on the Sessions House, an Italianate style building, and was completed in 1817. Originally, it was a smaller two-story building. It has since been substantially expanded. To commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria the red terra-cotta clock tower and Florentine facade were added. Construction was completed 1893. The building is built on the highest hill within the City of Hamilton and its clock tower dominates the skyline.
The Jubilee Clock has four illuminated faces, each seven feet in diameter. The hands are made of of copper and brass. A 1750 pound bell is struck on the hour with a 35 lb iron hammer. A six foot, 90 lb pendulum keeps time.