N 40° 46.452 W 073° 58.423
The Falconer is located on top of a rock outcrop south of the 72nd Street transverse road on West Drive, Central Park, New York City.
The Falconer is a 12' by 2.5' by 4' bronze sculpture set on a installed on a cylindrical granite base. It depicts a young man dressed in Elizabethan garb with a feathered cap and a shirt underneath an ornate thigh-length tunic which is tied around his waist. A sheathed dagger hangs from his belt. His left arm is raised and falcon with outspread wings is perched on his left hand.
The sculpture was created by George Simonds and cast at the Clemente Papi foundry in 1871. It was dedicated in Central Park on May 31, 1875. The front of the base is inscribed:
PRESENTED BY GEORGE KEMP MDCCCLXXV