Angel of the Waters
N 40° 46.450 W 073° 58.254
The Angel of the Waters is the central figure of the Bethesda Fountain which is located in the Bethesda Terrace at in the middle of Central Park on the southeast shore of The Lake opposite at 72nd Street.
In the center of the Bethesda Terrace is a famous fountain featuring the Angel of the Waters. The angel is referred to in the Gospel of John 5:4 describing the events at the Pool of Bethesda:
"For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
The Angel of the Waters is set on top of the central shaft of a two-tiered fountain. The neoclassical winged figure has her wings outspread as as she walks forward stirring the waters of Pool of Bethesda. In her right hand she is holding a lily, symbolizing purity, Four cherub figures at the base represent temperance, purity, health, and peace. The 8' high bronze sculpture was created by Emma Stebbins in 1868 and dedicated on May 31, 1873. It was unveiled in 1873.