N 41° 47.313 W 071° 24.814
A monument honoring Abraham Lincoln is located in Roger Williams Park at the junction of Fredrick C. Green Memorial Blvd. and Natural History Ave. in Providence, RI.
A 12' by 4' by 4' bronze statue of the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, stands on a 6.75' by 4' square granite base. A slender Lincoln is standing upright and wearing a knee length coat, vest and a bow tie. His arms are by his sides and he is holding a sheet of paper in his right hand.
The statue was a gift to the City of Providence from Henry W. Harvey in memory of his wife Georgiana. It was sculpted by Gilbert Alfred Franklin and erected in Roger Williams Park in 1958. The front of the base is inscribed:
ERECTED UNDER THE WILL OF
HENRY W. HARVEY
AS A MEMORIAL TO HIS WIFE
TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF
AND TO INCULCATE LOYALTY AND
PATRIOTISM IN THE MINDS
OF ALL THOSE WHO COME HERE
FOR REST AND RECREATION
In 1846, Lincoln was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, where he served one two-year term before returning to practice law Lincoln in Springfield, IL. In 1858, he failed in his bid for the United States Senate to Stephen Douglas. He joined the the newly formed anti-slavery Republican Party and won the 1860 election for president of the United States.
His election victory precipitated the Civil War over which he presided, as Commander-in-Chief from 1861 to 1865. Soon after the Union victory he was assassinated by southern sympathizer, John Wilkes Booth. De died on April 15, 1865 in Washington, D.C.