Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Roadside Attraction: Salem Witchcraft Victims Memorial - Danvers, MA

Salem Witchcraft Victims Memorial
Danvers, MA


N 42° 33.932 W 070° 57.460

Quick Description: 

America's most famous sociological disaster was caused by mass hysteria. It occurred in Salem Village, Massachusetts Bay Colony. The Salem Witchcraft Victims Memorial preserves the memory of the victims. It is located at 176 Hobart Street in Danvers, MA.

Long Description:

Between between February 1692 and May 1693 episodes of mass hysteria swept through the settlements in and around present day city of Salem which resulted in more than 20 women and men being accused of witchcraft, tried, convicted, and executed. The events were centered around the settlement of Salem Village northwest of Salem. The town subsequently changed its name to Danvers.

In 1992, on the 200th anniversary of the Salem Witch Trials, the citizens of Danvers erected a memorial to 24 victims who were killed as a result of the episodes of mass hysteria. A granite memorial consisting of a granite block inscribed with the dedication. On top of the block are a pair of iron shackles, and a sculpture of an open book with the inscription THE BOOK OF LIFE written across the pages. Behind are a series of five upright granite panels which are inscribed with the names, cause of death, and several quotes from the victims.

The dedication reads:

IN MEMORY OF THOSE INNOCENTS
WHO DIED DURING THE
SALEM VILLAGE WITCHCRAFT HYSTERIA
OF 1692

The first granite panel is inscribed:



“I am an innocent person. I never
had to do with witchcraft since I
was born. I am a Gosple woman.”
MARTHA CORY


“The Lord above knows my innocencye
as att the great day will be known
to men and Angells. I Petition to your
honours not for my own life for I know
I must die and my appointed time is
sett but the Lord he knows it is that
if it be possible no more innocent
blood may be shed ...”
MARY ESTY


“If it was the last moment I was to
live, God knows I am innocent ...”
ELIZABETH HOW


“Well! Burn me, or hang me, I will
stand the truth of Christ ...”
GEORGE JACOBS, SR.

The second granite panel is inscribed:



Died in jail May 10, 1692
SARAH OSBURN of Salem Village

Hanged June 10, 1692
BRIDGET BISHOP of Salem

Died in jail June 16, 1692
ROGER TOOTHAKER of Billerica

Died in jail previous to July 19, 1692
INFANT DAUGHTER to Sarah Good
of Salem Village


Hanged July 19, 1692

SARAH GOOD of Salem

ELIZABETH HOW of Topsfield

SUSANNAH MARTIN of Amesbury

REBECCA NURSE of Salem Village

SARAH WILDS of Topsfield

The third granite panel has the image of a trial judge and is inscribed:



Hanged August 19, 1692

REV. GEORGE BURROUGHS of Wells, Maine,
formerly of Salem Village

MARTHA CARRIER of Andover

GEORGE JACOBS, SR. of Salem

JOHN PROCTER, SR. of Salem Farmes

JOHN WILLARD of Salem Village


Died under torture September 19, 1692
GILES CORY of Salem Farmes

The fourth granite panel is inscribed:



Hanged September 22, 1692

MARTHA CORY of Salem Farmes

MARY ESTY of Topsfield

ALICE PARKER of Salem

MARY PARKER of Salem

ANN PUDEATOR of Salem

WILMOT REDD of Marblehead

MARGARET SCOTT of Rowley

SAMUEL WARDWELL of Andover


Died in jail December 3, 1692
ANN FOSTER of Andover


Died in jail March 10, 1693
LYDIA DASTIN of Reading

The fifth granite panel is inscribed:



“Amen. Amen. A false tongue
will never make a guilty person.”
SUSANNAH MARTIN


“I can say before my Eternal
father. I am innocent & God will clear my innocency.”
REBECCA NURSE


“The Magistrates, Ministers, Jewries,
and all the People in general, being
so much inraged and incensed against
us by the Delusion of the Devil,
which we can term no other, by reason
we know in our own Consciences, we
are all innocent Persons.”
JOHN PROCTER SR.


“ ... I fear not but the Lord in his due time
will make me as white as snow.”
JOHN WILLARD

Sponsors Monument


No comments:

Post a Comment