Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Roadside Attraction: I Dream of Jeannie - Cocoa Beach, FL

I Dream Of Jeannie Tribute
Cocoa Beach, FL


N 28° 20.138 W 080° 36.613

Quick Description: 

Cocoa Beach celebrates its connection to the TV show "I Dream Of Jeannie" by naming a street and erecting an historical marker.

Long Description:

The City of Cocoa Beach is adjacent to Cape Canaveral, FL. Many workers and astronauts from NASA make their home there. Thus, the TV show "I Dream Of Jeannie" was set in Cocoa Beach although it was filmed in California. The cast and crew of the show visited Cocoa Beach just twice, in 1969. On June 27, a parade was held with Barbara Eden and the cast as guests of honor. On November 25 a mock wedding of Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman took place in Cocoa Beach, which included a visit to Cocoa Beach City Hall.

A street, actually a lane, was named in honor of the show and a sign erected by the Brevard County Historical Commission celebrating the City's connection to the show.



The lane is called I DREAM OF JEANNIE LN



The sign is inscribed:

I Dream Of
Jeannie

I Dream of Jeannie was part of Cocoa
Beach when a television sitcom ran
from 1965 to 1970 starring Barbara
Eden as a 2000 year old female genie 
and Larry Hagman as an astronaut. 

The TV series was set in and around
Cocoa Beach. 

Barbara Eden visited Cocoa Beach in 
1969 when the “I Dream of Jeannie” 
street sign was placed at 
Lori Wilson Park.

The Brevard County Historical Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment