Hyannis Rear Range Light
GPS: N41° 38.940; W70° 16.591
Hyannis Rear Range Light once marked the channel in Lewis Bay in Hyannis Harbor.
Hyannis Harbor Light was built in 1849. The oil lamp was replaced with a 5th order Fresnel lens in 1856. In 1863, a new cast iron birddcage lantern installed. In 1929 the light was discontinued in 1929 and it was subsequently sold. In 1987, the owners built a larger lantern room on the tower.
Year first constructed - 1849
Deactivated - 1929
Foundation - Natural/emplaced
Construction - Brick
Tower shape - Conical
Markings / pattern - White with black lantern
Original lens - Oil lamp with reflector 1849); 5th order Fresnel lens(1856)
ARLHS number - USA-397
* First light at this site was a privately built shack on the beach with a lamp in the window.
* 1848 – Congress approved $2,000 for the conical brick tower which went into service in 1849.
* Circa 1850/51 – An additional $800 was allocated for keeper’s dwelling, which attached to the lighthouse via a covered walkway.
* 1856 – 5th order lens installed.
* 1863 – New cast iron lantern installed.
* 1885 – Front range light added at Old Colony Railroad Wharf.
* 1929 – Lighthouse discontinued, lantern removed.
* 1987 – Private owners fabricated a new, larger lantern.
* Daniel Snow Hallett (1849-1851)
* James Bearse (1851-1853)
* Almoran Hallett (1853-1861)
* Franklin Baker (1861-1869)
* John Lothrop (1869-1878)
* Alonzo Lothrop (1878-1899)
* John Peak (1899-1915)
* Waldo Leighton (1915-1929)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.