Highland (Cape Cod) Light
North Truro, MA
GPS: N42 2.359; W70 3.722
Highland Light, a.k.a. Cape Cod Light, is the oldest lighthouse on Cape Cod. It is located on Atlantic Ocean on the northeast part of Cape Cod
From Wikipedia website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Light
In 1797, George Washington established a wood lighthouse at this place to warn ships about the dangerous coastline between Cape Ann and Nantucket. It was the first light on Cape Cod. In 1833, the wood structure was replaced by brick and in 1840 a new lantern and lighting apparatus was installed. In 1857 the lighthouse was declared dangerous and demolished, and the current brick tower was constructed, with a first order Fresnel lens from Paris. Along with the lighthouse, there was a keeper's building and a generator shed, both of which can still be seen today.
In 1932 the lamp was upgraded to a 1000-watt beacon. The Fresnel lens system was replaced by a Carlisle & Finch DCB-224, with a second unit as backup. Fresnel lens was largely destroyed when it was removed in 1998.. In 1998, a VRB-25 optical system was installed.
Because of cliff erosion the lighthouse was moved 450 feet to the west. It is now on the grounds of the Highland Golf Course.
Year first lit 1857 (current structure)
Tower shape Conical
Markings / pattern White with black lantern
Height 66 feet (20 m)
Focal height 170 feet (52 m)
Original lens 1st order Fresnel lens
Current lens VRB-25
Range 18 nautical miles (33 km; 21 mi)
Characteristic Fl W 5s, lighted continuously
Fog signal none
Admiralty number J0390
ARLHS number USA-110
USCG number 1-500