Guglielmo Marconi Memorial
N 41° 47.203 W 071° 24.551
The Guglielmo Marconi Memorial is located Fredrick C. Green Memorial Blvd. near Carr Street, in Roger Williams Park, Providence, RI.
An 18' high by 4' square granite monument is erected, by the Italian-American community of Providence, in Roger Williams Park to honor the inventor of wireless telegraphy, Gugliemo Marconi. The monument was created by Oresto DiSaia and dedicated on October 25, 1953.
The top of the monument contains a frieze depicting wireless communication. The front has a relief sculpture of Marconi and the inscription:
A GRATEFUL GENERATION ERECTS THIS
MONUMENT IN THANKSGIVING FOR
THE WONDROUS GIFT OF AERIAL
COMMUNICATION WHICH HAS ENRICHED
COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY, FOSTERED
THE ARTS AND SCIENCES, BRINGING
TREASURES OF GREATER KNOWLEDGE
AND HAPPINESS INTO THE HEARTS
AND HOMES OF MANKIND
Guglielmo Marconi was an electrical engineer of Italian and Irish. descent. He was born into a noble Italian family on April 25, 1874. He studied at the University of Bologna under physicist Augusto Righi, and at the Istituto Cavallero in Florence.
At age 20 he began his experiments with radio telegraphy as was able to send electrical signals wirelessly for short distances. He improved his methods and eventually was able to achieve wireless radio transmission over long distance and even across the Atlantic Ocean. This made ship to shore communication possible and later led to worldwide communication. In 1909, Marconi was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics his contributions to radio communications.