Elmira 1864 - 2014
N 42° 05.746 W 076° 48.749
A painted utility box commemorates the 150th anniversary of the incorporation of Elmira, NY. It is located on the northeast corner of Park Place and West 5th Street in Elmira, NY.
The Elmira area was first settled in 1788. In 1864 the town of Elmira and the village of Elmira were incorporated as the City of Elmira. In 2014 this utility box was decorated to commemorate this event. The entire utility box is painted purple. The street side is painted with the clock tower of the Elmira City Hall and is inscribed:
1864 - 2014
Honoring the Past
Building the Future
On the sidewalk side the ELMIRA is inscribed in large pictorial letters with various sites in Elmira, reminiscent of the lettering found on vintage post cards.