Mark Twain Monument
N 42° 05.875 W 076° 48.842
A monument honoring author, novelist, and humorist Mark Twain is located on the campus of Elmira College east of Park Place in Elmira, NY.
A 6' high bronze statue of Mark Twain stands with his legs slightly apart on an 6' high four tiered octagonal concrete base. Mark Twain is wearing a three piece suit and a bow-tie. He has his right hand in his right trouser pocket and cradles a book at waist level in his right hand and forearm. The statue was created by Gary Weisman of Roseville, PA and was a gift to the Elmira College by the class of 1934.
The uppermost tier is inscribed on the front face:
Beloved Husband of
Olivia Langdon Clemens
Class of 1864
The lower three tiers have the names of books written by Mark Twain:
Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - The Prince and the Pauper
A Tramp Abroad - Life on the Mississippi - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
of the Class
In 1870, Samuel Clemens married an Elmira resident and Elmira College graduate Olivia Langdon. They lived in Hartford, CT and spent many summers with Olivia's sister, Susan Crane, at her mansion at Quarry Farm in Elmira where he wrote major portions of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876), A Tramp Abroad (1880), The Prince and the Pauper (1881), Life on the Mississippi (1883), Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889), and several shorter works.