Inglesia de San Pedro Claver
(Church of Saint Peter Claver)
N 10° 25.306 W 075° 33.054
The Inglesia de San Pedro Claver (Church of Saint Peter Claver) is located at Calle 31 and Carrera 4 west of the Plaza de la Aduana in Cartagena, Colombia.
Inglesia de San Pedro Claver was established by the Jesuit order of Roman Catholic priests in Cartagena. Between 1580 and 1654 a church, school, monastery, and other buildings were erected. The church was dedicated to Saint Pedro Claver (1581 – 1654), a Jesuit priest who worked tirelessly on behalf of the community of African slaves. The remains of Saint Pedro Claver are visible, interred in of the altar of the church.
|Fr. Pedro Claver and African Slave|
In 1995, the complex was designated a National Cultural Landmark in Cartagena. Conservation efforts are underway to restore the buildings and grounds.
The stamp was issued by Colombia in 1954 on the 300th anniversary of the death of Saint Pedro Claver.