National Register of Historic Places
Edisonia Theater Block
N 42° 06.031 W 072° 35.190
The Edisonia Theater Block occupies the west side of 1156 to 1176 Main Street, north of Bliss Street in downtown Springfield, MA.
This brick and stucco, two story high, building with glazed terra cotta trim was designed in the early 20th century Commercial Style by the architectural firm of E.C. and G.C. Gardner in 1913. It was named in honor of Thomas Edison, the inventor of motion pictures, and was the home to one of Springfield's first motion picture theaters, The Edisonia.
In 1915 the theater was sold and the new owners changed the name to The Garden. The theater once again changed ownership in 1927 and then operated continually until the 1940's. In 1937, the interior underwent a major renovation to accommodate retail stores. A large grocery store, the Springfield Public Market, moved into the space and operated from there until the 1960's.
Today it is the home to the Hampden County Sheriff's Office, the Aids Foundation, a tailor shop and a travel agency.
1156 - 1176 Main Street
Springfield, MA United States
County / Borough / Parish: Hampden
Year listed: 1983
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Entertainment/Recreation
Periods of significance: 1900-1924
Historic function: Recreation And Culture
Current function: Commerce/Trade
Privately owned?: yes